Thursday, April 28, 2005

A Nation of Millions

I went to Zia's at lunch yesterday. For those that don't know, Zia's is a music store that trades albums, and you can find some obscure stuff pretty cheap. I decided to check out the bargain bin, and see if anything good was in there. I came across a new copy of Public Enemy's "It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back".

As a white kid growing up in Phoenix, I didn't have a lot of exposure to rap. However, when I joined the navy, my company in boot camp had about 20 guys from New York City, the birthplace of hip hop. I immediately became enthralled with their rapping and beat boxing.

The first two rap albums I ever really listened to were "Paid in Full", and "It Takes a Nation of Millions". So to see it in the bargain bin in part was nostalgic, and in part really pissed me off. I mean, how is one of the most influencial albums of all time sitting on the same level as "Elmo's Christmas"?

I ended up buying it with damn near pocket change. I listened to it all night, and had forgotten how much I enjoyed that album. It reminds me of that angry young man who wanted to change the world in what seems like a different lifetime. I think tomorrow I am going to go look for "Paid in Full".

2 comments:

phrainck said...

I love finding great stuff like that at pawn shops and in the discount racks. My last incredible find was Time Out by The Dave Brubeck Quartet. Mmmm... that's some tasty stuff.

I understand your feelings, though, about finding classic stuff in such an unappreciative setting. I figure that whoever pawned the music wasn't cool enough to have it in the first place, so at least I'm providing it a good home.

Umbrella said...

phrainck,

What a coincedence! I was just listening to Time Out at work yesterday.